Did you know? ●ALL work related foodborne illness is preventable.
● Food safety incidents occur everywhere in the world.
● For example, in England and Wales for 2005, the official Estimates of Health Consequences of Foodborne Illness / Disease (food poisoning) were 470 deaths, 765,000 total cases, 17,300 hospitalisations and economic costs estimated at £1,379 million. ● Many countries do not have an effective food safety framework in place. ●Diseases related to food and drinking water can significantly and adversely impact workforce productivity, particularly during large-scale construction phases of a project or during exploration projects in remote locations. ● Food borne illness can be a significant health risk with the potential to affect hundreds of employees and contractors in one incident.
● Enteric diseases, especially diarrhoea are among the most severe health problems in the developing world including countries where extensive oil and gas exploration & production occurs.
● Detailed health & safety systems are industry standards - a comparable effective food safety system developed by the World Health Organisation known as HACCP is used to control the potential health risks from unsafe food and water.
● In the UK, incidents of food poisoning on offshore facilities are reportable under health & safety legislation (RIDDOR).
● An effective food safety management System within occupational health will significantly reduce the risk of a work related foodborne illness occurring.
● Food safety and food hygiene starts with the design of onshore & offshore catering facilities and the tender process for all services related to the supply of food and potable water.
● Food safety & food hygiene audits of subcontractors catering facilities / kitchens / galleys by a food safety / catering advisor are considered standard practice in many industries.
● Food safety systems can be implemented by operators, contractors and caterers involved in offshore / onshore projects and operations including those at oil & gas refineries, topside & jacket construction sites, oil & gas production rigs / platforms, FPSO's, drilling, flotel & support vessels.